HAL9000

HAL9000
"It just isn't conceivable that you can design a program strong enough to beat players like me."

February 15, 2015

Whispers from the past #1

Time is the best evaluation tool for your statements
Thierry Paunin: Two top grandmasters have gone down to chess computers. Portisch against “Leonardo” and Larsen against “Deep Thought”. It is well known that you have strong views on this subject. Will a computer be world champion, one day?

Garry Kasparov: Ridiculous! A machine will always remain a machine, that is to say a tool to help the player work and prepare. Never shall I be beaten by a machine! Never will a program be invented which surpasses human intelligence. And when I say intelligence, I also mean intuition and imagination. Can you see a machine writing a novel or poetry? Better still, can you imagine a machine conducting this interview instead of you? With me replying to its questions?

Jeux & Strategie #55 (1989)

No comments: