Following a visitor's comment, i've been checking a new chess GUI made available for Android. It's called Acid Ape Chess and regarding the highlights claimed by the developer, it can use not only UCI but also XB engines. It plays engine to engine games and accesses online tablebases as well.
These are the main attractive features for me but there are many interesting others in the chef's menu. Since i didn't install it yet, any feedback from the testers is welcome.
Detailed app description taken from Google Play says:
"Acid Ape Chess is a chess application that combines online and engine play in a carefully designed, stylish and responsive user interface.
Acid Ape Chess is aimed at serious players. It will not explain you what the en passant rule is nor display a shiny 3D chessboard. Instead, Acid Ape Chess provides you with the best chess user experience available on Android.
Acid Ape Chess is 100% free: no in-app purchases, no advertisements.
Acid Ape Chess features include:
• Play online on FICS/ICC, or offline against chess engines.
• Support for external UCI and CECP (aka. WinBoard/XBoard) chess engines, with pondering and adjustable strength.
• Two strong builtin engines are provided: Arasan (ranked #30 on CCRL 40/40, ELO 2980) and Cheng 4 (ranked #27 on CCRL 40/40, ELO 3024).
• Uses an online service to provide Syzygy 3-4-5-6 men endgame tablebases. The use of an online service is the only practical way to benefit from state-of-the-art endgame tablebases on a mobile device, as the complete Syzygy 3-4-5-6 set requires more than 1 TB of disk space.
• Engine-aided analysis with real-time best move display. When there are less than 7 pieces left on the board, the online Syzygy 3-4-5-6 men endgame tablebases are automatically queried, immediately providing you with the perfect solution of the game.
• Automatic analysis: in this mode, the best move is automatically applied every x seconds until a checkmate or draw position is reached.
• ECO opening information is displayed.
• A multi-page interface: multiple chessboards and utility pages can be opened simultaneously. You can for instance watch several tournament games concurrently, or analyze different variations. Pages can be switched by swiping left/right or by using the page list.
• Easy move list navigation with large previous/next buttons.
• A LCD chess clock modeled after real hardware, with sound and flag display.
• Non-disruptive in-game chat using a subwindow at the bottom of the chessboard.
• A scratch board for testing ideas and variations.
• A board editor for creating specific positions, which can be analyzed or played against an engine.
• A game database where all the games you have played or watched are saved. Saved games can be displayed, analyzed, or even replayed against an engine from any position. Moreover, you can view all the games you have played against a specific opponent.
• When a game starts, your personal record against your opponent is displayed. You can also view all the games you have played against that opponent.
• Copy/paste a FEN position.
• Copy/paste a PGN game.
• Load/save a PGN game.
• Edit variations, move annotations and comments.
• Watch live games from major professional tournaments.
• First-class support for many FICS/ICC features: list games and watch other games, list users, display user information, chat with a specific user or in public channels, edit finger notes.
• FICS/ICC timeseal support, for negating the effects of network lag.
• Premove support.
• Engine duels: have two engines fight eachother from the initial position or from any game position.
• Simuls: play simultaneous exhibitions against chess engines.
• Play any position against an engine.
• Zero disruption policy: the chessboard will never be obscured during a game. Never lose a rapid game again just because a dialog pops up at the worst possible time.
• Share your games on social networks or via email.
• Smooth move animations.""
Download Acid Ape Chess at Google Play: HERE